Steve Bonnell has been compiling information on all the John Bonnells who fought in the Revolutionary War. At present he's aware of five:
- John 1 died 1845 Waterford Twp, Erie County, PA
- John 2 died 15 Dec 1817 Springfield Twp, Essex Co., NJ
- John 3 died 1 April 1823 Harrison Co, VA
- John 4 died 21 Aug 1808 Screven Co, GA
- John 5 died 184X Berlin, Wayne Co, PA
He created a matrix to compare the information he's found can be found here: Revolutionary Soldiers John Bonnell.
If any of our readers have information on these or other John Bonnells, please share it with Steve.
His main focus is tracking down the Bonnell line from John 1, who migrated through Lancaster, Lycoming, then Erie counties in Pennsylvania. His origin is not known, but many circumstances suggest Ireland. Present Y-DNA Tests SHOW that this Bonnell Line is NOT related to the majority of Bonnell-Bunnell Folks in the country! However, the tests do show that the lines of each of the 4 sons ARE related to each other.
Steve’s website can be found here: http://kbsb.com/bonnelltree/. It features, among many other things:
- Sara Rebecca E Spang’s , printed ~ 1992. ”The BONNELL GENEALOGY"
- Spencer Kraybill’s “PENNSYLVANIA’S PINE CREEK VALLEY AND PIONEER FAMILIES”
- Prayer Book of Lydia Bonnell, Philadelphia, PA