Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Family Search Catalog is Out of Date

Not many good things happened during the lockdown, but one was genealogy conferences going virtual.  The New York Family History Conference has been a godsend to me. I would never have been able to go in person, but thanks to the magic of Zoom and GoToWebinar, I've learned a great deal. 

I also spent a considerable amount of time over the last three years looking at records online at FamilySearch. Probably all of you did too.


One of my volunteer activities is editing the webinars offered by the Southern California Genealogical Society (about 200 of them are available  for a mere $40/month membership). Over the last 3 years I've probably watched and edited a couple dozen programs that demonstrated using the FamilySearch catalog.


So imagine my reaction to Robert Raymond's excellent program at the 2022 NYSFHC Exploring New York the New Way on Family Search. 


FamilySearch stopped updating the catalog in 2019! Digital images added since 2019 ARE NOT IN THE CATALOG!!! Why didn't someone tell me!!


I just did a cursory look, and there are indeed records that I missed because I relied on the catalog.


To get started looking at records the new way, go to the Search Tab and click on IMAGES, not Catalog.


Good luck and happy hunting the new way.


No comments:

Post a Comment